RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Homemade brushless motor
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:19 am 

Dear fellows, I've been asked many times on the slope regarding the making of this BL motor. Especially on the winding method. Below is a link that tells. :roll:
http://goldeneye.ethz.ch/motoren/electric/cdrom/index_EN/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:27 am 

亞邦,我隻無碳刷搞掂啦。嘩勁度十足!似乎好夠力。未度加槳後電流有多大,相信都有5至8A。等亞子明賣隻電Bee比我,就可以把它裝上去試吓。

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:35 am 

Hi Stanley,
Great to hear your good work done. However, it looks something wrong on the shaft. Coz the shaft shall be fixed to the bell (the outrunner), I worry that the bell might wear in high speed. In addition, I see plenty of space between each teeth, you might consider using thicker wire or increase number of winding. Regards,
pong. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:11 am 

The diameter of my CD-ROM motor is larger than others, that's why the gaps between the magnets are large. Yes, the shaft is not fixed to the outrunner bell, however, I found out that the shaft is tightly coupled to the bell when the bell turns in high speed and all the torque are coupled to the shaft that is turning the pop - at least I can not hold the shaft by my fingers when it turns, it's ok for now. I will fit a pop to check the speed it has tonight. The wire I used is not as thick as yours, this is the thickiest wire I can get hold of and is left-over stuff from my electronic hobby project twenty years ago!
By the way, if you can help me to get thicker wire and also another set of magnets, that will be good and I will make another motor with small diameter and hopefully higher speed and higher torque.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:12 pm 

I tested my homemade brushless motor again last night with load. When a 13" pop was installed, I found that the motor will start to shake a lot and will automatically cut off up to half throttle. However, with a smaller pop of 6" it can go to full throttle with speed and the trust it's generated is promising.
The shaking started with some kinds of small vibration first and then developed into full interruption of spin. It seems to me that the speed control (Jeti) does not handle the motor properly in high loading. Perhaps this is due to the spacing of the magnets which is not uniform or the gaps are too large. Any suggestion of the cause?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:57 pm 

:D Hey Stanley,
13" prop is seems too big for this small BL. The interrupption of spin might be "misfire". Your red colour JETI cannot set the timing, I can borrow my blue one to you for test COZ it can set to hard timing. BTY, does your BL hot when using a 6" prop? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:16 pm 

Hi Ah Pong,

The motor was a bit hot when it was driving a 6" prop with full throttle but it is not as hot as such that you can't touch it with your finger. I think it's ok. I will check the Jeti speed control tonight to see whether I can program it with hard timing. I do have another Jeti SC (blue one), so I will try this if the red one cannot be programmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:05 am 

:P Hey Stanley,
Does your BL better now? A big news today!! Hong Kong has a lady who could make her homemade BL with 350g of static thrust!! Which is using an 8x4 prop, 9V at 10A, 0.4mm wire with 16 turns. Guess who is she?..........My wife Pauline. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:28 am 

Ah Poing,

I am jealous!

You should be proud of your achievement! Not only because you can make one BL motor yourself but can also train a women to do so. This is a mission that I think imposible! My tiger wife would never do this for me, in fact, I have to build my motor secretly away from her sight, otherwise I would be in trouble!

My red Jeti controller can not be programmed to hard timing mode, so I changed a speed controller (blue one, Advance 18P), but still the motor would stop at half throttle even it was drived in hard timming mode. I guess probably the loading of 13" prop is too high.

I will show it to you once I see you in the flying site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:06 am 

I've removed the bell from the motor, but have I got to remove the stator from the printed circuit board for rewinding of the wire ?
How can it be done! Should I force it out ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:15 pm 

:D from my very limited experience, I opine that the stator is better removed from the PCB. Otherwise, it would be so difficult for the winding. Each motor has their unique design. Therefore, no hard and fast rule to remove it. Just try. By the way, the best method to remove the old magnet from the bell is burning. call me direct if you encounter problem. Regards. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:59 pm 

:D 啞邦幾時教我飛滑翔機呀!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:22 pm 

:D 啞邦請問你星期六何時上山勁爽飛.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:23 pm 

整好左個 CD-ROM BL 摩打啦。
我用左0.5mm既線打左 20圈
嘩!圈完之後,成隻手唔郁得。好辛苦 :cry:

有邊個可以幫我試個摩打呀 :)

Post subject: 摩打
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:44 pm 

阿麥,
我也在學繞CD-Rom摩打。我看你的摩打還未改磁石,是否不改磁也可?

Post subject: Re: 摩打
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:31 am 

ken wrote:
阿麥,
我也在學繞CD-Rom摩打。我看你的摩打還未改磁石,是否不改磁也可?

哈 ! 你唔講起我都唔記得要改強力磁石
:oops:
今個星期咁好風,又唔想去深水圳買野:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:00 am 

:P dear Mak,
Good work done. Coz it is quite difficult to wind 20 turns with .5 wire. I could test your motor for you, as I have full set of gears to read the rpm, v, a and thrust etc..... keep up the effort. cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:18 am 
:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:21 am 

:P Mak,
Good news. I tested your motor this morning, it turns. I used GWS 4025 prop, it turns at 19260 rpm. Takes 9v at 7A, render 160g static thrust. A very good result or first attempt. Should you replace the stock magnets, I guess it can run with a 6" prop.

Regards,
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:31 pm 

Thank you Ah Pong.

Which BL controler would you suggest for this type of motor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:25 pm 
K.Y.Mak wrote:
Thank you Ah Pong.

Which BL controler would you suggest for this type of motor?

Hi! 亞麥,
我用過好幾牌子ESC,覺得Castle Creations既電變唔錯,你可以考慮PHOENIX Micro 10 應該幾適合你,連續供電10A迅間15A,有BEC最重要佢cut off電壓最低 4.5-5V由6V起可以按0.1V遞增(不過要配合PHOENIX LINK USB Adapter)所以就算用鋰電都無問題,還有我發覺如果FM接收同BL ESC放得太近大部分牌子電變都會產生干擾,所以最好預留3吋或以上距離

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:46 pm 

:D Dear MAK,
I share the same view that Phoenix 10 is quite good choice for this type of motor. I order one from aircraft world (Japan Web), and am waiting its arrival. I also heard that some controller will interfere the receiver, but last time with my mini bee, I put the controller underneath the receiver and found no problem at all. I used Jeti at that plane. But for safety reason, you better adhere to George's advice.

Regards. :P Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:51 pm 

The Phoenix Micro 10 Brushless seems to be what I need. It have motor braking as an additional feature.
However, does it require the USB programmer "CC-PHNX-LINK" to enable the brake function?