RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Any event for 1 May?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:11 pm 

Weather forecast: North wind, Force 2 to 3. What to do? No good for F3F!
Going DLG, LMR, F3B at Kai Tak? or stay at home to ZZZ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:45 pm 

No fly for me on May 1 la :o

Need build 1:60 GUNDAM with kid + continue ICU with Pike :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:24 pm 

If the sky is clear without fog, I would like to go up to Tai Mo Shan to try the northerly slope to see whether it is F3F flyable. If it is ok, we can seek permission from AFCD to fly this slope during the HK Open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:14 pm 

Wing wrote:
No fly for me on May 1 la :o

Need build 1:60 GUNDAM with kid + continue ICU with Pike :?

Giant robots are fake. No material on earth can withstand the force generated when the robot are jumping and running around, and the pilot will surely be shaked to death :)

Teach your son to fly model gliders and learn the real science. More important, You and your son can repair the planes together :twisted:

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :arrow: :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:27 pm 

:D :D

Hey CM:

Quote:
Giant robots are fake. No material on earth can withstand the force generated when the robot are jumping and running around, and the pilot will surely be shaked to death

Teach your son to fly model gliders and learn the real science. More important, You and your son can repair the planes together

This is the first time that I totally agree with you!!

:twisted: :P :twisted: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:32 pm 

Ah Pong wrote:
:D :D

Hey CM:

Quote:
Giant robots are fake. No material on earth can withstand the force generated when the robot are jumping and running around, and the pilot will surely be shaked to death

Teach your son to fly model gliders and learn the real science. More important, You and your son can repair the planes together

This is the first time that I totally agree with you!!

:twisted: :P :twisted: :P

I also have a 1:60 Gundam . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:41 pm 

Hey guys ! My son already experienced both motor plane & glider ... I guess he's much interest to chasing around with Ah Mak's kids in MOS rather than flying planes :? Anyway would let him choose by himself la :o

The 1:60 Gundam we are building is RX-178 Mk II "Perfect Grade" 8) All fingers are movable & eyes powered by LED 8) Cost much lesser than JR 161 x 2 :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:30 am 

I went up to Tai Mo Shan today to check up the slope for northerly wind. The slope is just close to road leading up to the car park. It is facing north with a clear view. I am a bit disappointed, however, to find out the that there are some planted tree around, but even worse there are lots of scattered rock and I couldn't find a suitable landing area for F3F gliders. So this slope is ruled out for F3F! Here are some photos:

There are many cows around
Planted tree are obstruction to glider flying. We don't like tree!
There are many scattered rock around, we hate them!
100m away to the west, still too many rock!

We then went on to Leung King Estate to check out the southeasterly slope. Once we up there we found that the the wind was coming for the west. The slope is about 220m height, it seems not much higher than the tall buildings below. So I guess the lift is certianly not as good as what we have in Clearwater bay or Ma On Shan. The slope face is not that straight and may be shorter than 100m wide although it seems that gliders can fly far out, but for F3F we need to fly close to the slope face then it is not staright and wide enough. Since the wind is coming from the back (westerly) today, we went to the opposite face of the mountain to see whether we can fly our gliders there. On the other side, we can see Shenzhen bay, the mountain are almost treeless. There is no clear westerly slope face, and we jsut manage to fly a small thermal plane only. Here are some photos and movie taken:

Leung King Estate is right below
Looking to the south you can see Castle Peak. The slope face looks ok from here but it is facing east, and the easterly wind is obstructed from the mountain east of Tuen Mum
There is a southerly slope about 30 meters futher up. It seems that it is straight and wide enough, but there are lots of rocks also.
Facing west and overlooking Shenzhen bay and Shek Kou
Have fun!

See a movie
http://www.rcsail.com/tmp/tuenmum_west.avi