RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:05 pm 

As manning on these posts are voluntary tasks, and the flight scheme for each pilot is going in a shift pattern, may the in-charge of these events figure out a roster to assign pilots after their flight to man the tasks so as to share the duties, allowing the pilots sufficient rest time and preparation for coming rounds. A roster is recommended but not mandatory unless the pilot insists to stay at the post without the need to "SHH...." and tune the plane to the changing wind condition.
A bit upset to me even I am not running well in the past events.

e.g. in a shift run down of 5 pilots, after the 1st round, pilot 4 & 5 will go to man point A and B in 2nd round while pilot 6 will be the 1st to start in 2nd Round until 3/4 of the 2nd round being run, then Pilot 6 & 7 to replace 4 & 5. It may also involve in the cycling for CD in the pool of pilots with CD experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:37 pm 

:P :P Hi Big Yeung,

Totally agree.

On some past occasions, I noticed that some pilots always "側側膀,唔多覺" for manning the bases.
:shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:27 pm 

Yeah yeah, Big Yeung is certainly sharing an important point :o

In recent F3F races, there were some occasions that "judges" sitting in Base A / B were being called back in a rush back to fly their planes, which may affected their performance :? Therefore some rostering protocol can help :o

BTW, do we want to sync the timing protocol for pressing the button when planes passing over Base A / B ? For example :

- Press button once the plane's nose once "pass" the pole (OR)
- Press button after the plane's entire tail "pass" the pole (OR)
- etc :idea:

Perhaps we can have a short breifing in upcoming F3F race on Feb 4 for CDs to debrief us on the protocol :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:38 pm 

:P

Hi Wing,

To my understading in recent FAI amendment in this regard, the protocol should be the "Center Mass" (i.e. around the CG) crossing the poles.

Other masters, tell me if I am wrong, please.

Pong Pong :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:15 pm 

Ah Pong wrote:
the protocol should be the "Center Mass" (i.e. around the CG) crossing the poles.

Thanks Pong Pong ... this protocol should be easy to adopt lol :o just press button once the plane's main wing passing the pole 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:19 pm 

Rules have been changed recently:

5.F.9. The Speed Course: The speed course is laid out along the edge of the slope and is marked at both ends with two clearly visible flags. The organiser must ensure that the two turning planes are mutually parallel and perpendicular to the slope.
Depending on the circumstances, the two planes are marked respectively Base A and Base B.
Base A is the official starting plane. At Base A and Base B, an Official announces the passing of the model (i.e. the fuselage nose of the model) with a sound signal when the model is flying out of the speed course. Furthermore, in the case of Base A, a signal announces the first time the model is crossing Base A in the direction of Base B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:03 pm 

According to the latest rules, it should be "nose" but I hear that it will change very soon. Anyway, we can stick on the "nose".

For buzzermen, who take car of the point A and B, I have the following proposal -

For example, 15 pilots will be separate into 3 groups

Group 1: Pilot 1-5
Group 2: Pilot 6-10
Group 3: Pilot 11-15

Round 1:
Point A, B: Group 3
Flying Sequence: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
----------------------------| :arrow: Group 1 takes over point A, B after pilot 6

Round 2:
Point A, B: Group 1
Flying Sequence: 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 1 2 3 4 5
---------------------------| :arrow: Group 2 takes over point A, B after pilot 10

Round 3:
Point A, B: Group 2
Flying Sequence: 11 12 13 14 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
-------------------------------| :arrow: Group 3 takes over point A, B after pilot 15

CD / CD assistant would remind pilots from each group to send out buzzermen and mark in the record sheet so that all five members from the group would take the role as equal as possible.

I'd suggest F Fai to be CD and Stanley be CD assistant for arranging buzzermen. If they can't come, me and Pong serve as backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:17 pm 

I agree with Augus's suggestion. However, I do have some suggestions for improvement.

We do not know the exact number of contestants in advance, so we might not be able to divide the number into 5 per group.

Since the minimum number of workers to hold the race is 3, i.e., two buzzermen and one time keeper, I would suggest that the grouping can be 3 to 5 persons per group and the offset of starting the next round would be aligned with the group size. It is up to the group itself who would be the buzzerman or time keeper. In order to minimize the number of swappings, I would suggest not to swap groups until to the very last moment, i.e., the group will be responsible for its duty until another group in front of them starts to race.

Starting from the first round, the last group in the list should take the duty, the group that is the last to run the race in next round (i.e., the first group in the first round) would take over to perform the duty, and so on..

There should be a (master) CD who does not need to be buzzerman of the day (we might have different CDs for different days for fairness). If he also flys, there is a backup CD during his own flight. The CD is responsible for making the important decision in case it is needed and keep the contest in order, so he must station all time in the central.

Last edited by Stanley on Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:43 pm 

Hi Stanly,

Second to your suggestion. Let's try it tomorrow...

:P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:53 pm 

This is what I have in mind for the roster.

What do you guys think?