RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:50 pm 

I think if the contest is conducted using F3F rules, then we do not need two tall poles. Instead two ordinary poles with flag just like what we have for F3F contest would be sufficient, because the contesting planes will not circle over the poles. For the logistic of holding the event, I strongly suggest to use the F3F rules with the available F3F timing equipment for the coming event. Of course later when we have a better contest site, more preparation and participants, we can formally hold the contest using the suggested rules.
With repsect to the flying site, Y.C. proposal is good, but I don't know whether he has further updates on the possibility of holding an electric event in 萬宜水庫. If not, we need to fall back to hold the contest in Shamchung - we need to make the decision and announce it as soon as possible! Any other views from the interested pilots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:33 pm 

For flying in group, it will be better to have the long poles to indicate the turning points & two ends of the track.
We may use the existing F3F poles and mounting bases to set up the two ends. The long fishing poles can then be tied to the poles with nylon strips and strong packing tape to make them pointing up right to the sky. A small flag in bright color can also be mounted at the tip of the fishing pole for better identification.
With camping nails and some ropes, the poles can also be secured on strong wind but not the suicide attack of greedy racers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:26 am 

So silent! Are we still going to hold the event on coming Sunday?
If number of participant is only a few, we may still hold the event in the morning section (just to allot for 2 hrs) and to include a DLG event thereafter.
Any other suggestion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:21 pm 

Yes, so quiet! I don't think we have sufficient number of participants for holding the contest, but it is no harm if we go to Shamchung to fly electric in the morning.
I think only the rain or thunder storm can stop us from doing this!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:33 pm 

Right! As the weather forecast is telling it will rain till Saturday. There shouldn't be many people camping. It will be a good timing to run the fast electric.
Anybody intend to go for electric flying and/or DLG?
Stanley,
Will it be better to inform 村 長 if we decide to go on the coming Sunday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:24 pm 

I will join except for unfavourable raining condition, no matter it is pylon, dlg or lmr.

Johnson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:04 am 

I need stay in shop , because we have rc car racing in this sunday !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:57 pm 

BigYeung wrote:
Will it be better to inform 村 長 if we decide to go on the coming Sunday?

Last call!
How many of you will go to fly DLG or electric in Shamchung this Sunday?
If we have more than 5, I will inform 村 長 tomorrow, otherwise, it should be ok we just go there quietly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am 

星期六預計會有雷暴,可能星期日個天還會有電未放完。 長魚杆有一支在Stanley處,另一支在我車尾,有需要請Call我。

Last edited by ken on Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:25 am 

I'll go for pylon (with a EPP racer and the S200) and DLG unless it rains continously or with thunder storm on Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:24 pm 

Just in case we are going to have the electric pylon in the near future, I would like to start building my pylon racer now.

Would someone please give suggestion on equipments to use! It's better to be able to buy them locally. So, tell me the model and where to buy.
I don't want something that's expensive, but it must fly fast!

Thank you !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:24 pm 

Hi Mak,
There's not many plane selection from local.
S200 from yellow brothers is a good choice.
Align's racer may be the second, yet it is not that pylon style design. Can't remeber if Simprop's racer is still available.
Otherwise, purchase overseas usually cost HK$1300 to HK$1800 including shipping cost;
Lots of motors to choose but forget outrunner in plyon application. Get the one with stronger shaft, say 3mm or 3.17mm;
Get the best receiver as far as you can, it worth to sacrify some weight and space here. No FM PPM receiver. I favour large PCM dual conversion ones.
APC propeller 4.5 or 4.1 inches diameter. Radar is the best deal as far as I know.
Aluminium high precison spinner (no vibration, no deformation under high rpm-- get it from me.

Yeung

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:24 am 

Yeung wrote:
Get the one with stronger shaft, say 3mm or 3.17mm;
Get the best receiver as far as you can, it worth to sacrify some weight and space here. No FM PPM receiver. I favour large PCM dual conversion ones.
APC propeller 4.5 or 4.1 inches diameter. Radar is the best deal as far as I know.
Aluminium high precison spinner (no vibration, no deformation under high rpm-- get it from me.

Yeung

Hello Yeung,

Since I'm using Futaba, I bet a small 6ch PCM will do the job ?
I already have the S200 from Yellow brothers.
can you recomment which brand and model to get for the following items!

Brushless motor : which model ?
ESC controller : which model ?
Batteries : Li or NiCad ? what capacity ?
Propeller : APC (4.5 in or 4.1 in ? )
Spinner : from Yeung

What do you mean by "stronger shaft", shaft of the gearbox or the motor shaft ?

Do you use gearbox on a racer? if so, what ratio to use?

btw, can I get them all from Radar ?

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:19 am 

The small PCM 6 channel rx is OK and I am using it in my S200 too. However, there are various comments on the reception range under high Amp. environment. George also uses it.

Mega 16/15/2 (Czech)is a proven motor with Thunder power 2s 2100 at APC 4.1x4.1 propeller. 16/15/3 is milder at 2 cell. It is S400 motor spec and similar weigh, so CG balancing is not a problem. You may contact me or flying-hobby at Yaumati.
For the PRC clone, you may searh for those of S400 size (28mm motor dia.) and around 4200+ rpv

For the esc, you can start with 25A with Lipo cutoff but it is marginal. 30A is good enough.
Radar has it. We just direct solder the motor to the esc, no connector is used (again no space in the fuselage.

We just use direct drive system, so no gerbox is used. Indeed there is no space for gearbox in those small pylon. Only if you try large hot liner, say ebananna, Turnleft of Simprop or electrified your 60" mouldies will the gearbox applied.

Yeung

Post subject: Mega Motor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:42 am 

Hi Mak

I am flying with MEGA motors on my as well :o

I got two configuration 16/15/3 with APC 4.5 x 4.1 and 16/15/2 with APC 4.1 x 4.1 powered by Thunder Power 7.4V 2100mA LiPo - MEGA brushless certainly excellent although a bit expensive ! My MEGA(s) were drived by Pheonix ESC (Castle Creations)

Be sure to purchase a few more props as it may quite easy to break during landings. Also you may need rpm meter (use under sun light) and electric current meter to measure the peak rpm & peak current for aovid over-load the LiPo(s)

BTW, my pylon racers are all covered with dust :x

Wing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:35 am 

Is there anyone tried those short baseloaded receiver antenna? Any problem when used with high-amp electric system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:49 am 

CM,
Ah Kin and I tried them. Performed well in DLG and brushed motor system. Would you mind to try it out for us? I can let you have the antenna (soya bean sauce)to try if you provide the others (chicken). Which frequency do you want?

Yeung

Last edited by Yeung on Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:52 am 

Yeung wrote:
Mega 16/15/2 (Czech)is a proven motor with Thunder power 2s 2100 at APC 4.1x4.1 propeller.

15 / 16 唔玩、唔舒服!

有邊個知道 Mega 16/15/2 呢個名, "16/15/2" 係勿野意思?

Tips : "/2" 係代表 LiPo 2s

咁 "16/15" 又係代表勿呢?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:59 am 

16/15/2 means 2 turns winding
16/15/3 means 3 turns winding.

the middle 15 means the lenght of the rotor, while the 16 MAY represents the distance of the motor mounting holes.

http://www.megamotor.cz/new/script/mega ... f=products

Just be sure you get the correct outer diameter, length, weight and shaft diameter of the motor. Otherwise, you may not be able to stuff it in the tiny fuselage.

It is very difficult to judge and compare from the codes amongst manufacture. There is no standardized description. How can you compare Hacker vs Neu vs Mega vs Align?

Last edited by Yeung on Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:03 pm 

Yeung wrote:
CM,
Ah Kin and I tried them. Performed well in DLG and brushed motor system. Would you mind to try it out for us? I can let you have the antenna (soya bean sauce)to try if you provide the others (chicken). Which frequency do you want?

Yeung

Hi Yeung,

Thanks. Actually I have bought one from aircraft-world and installed it in my helicopter. But then I found that on the package it said it is for park-flyers! I think if they can be used in pylon-racer then it should also be OK in my heli which flies much closer than the racers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:14 pm 

Ah yes, I also installed it in my cheap Lama V3. However, is your heli using brushless system??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:35 pm 

Yes. The motor is a Twist 37. Size similar to a 480. I think the current rating should be similar or lower than a 400 size pylon racer and so I would like to ask for your experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:46 pm 

I crashed my Stinger in the 1st flight when I switched to base-load short antenna. Tail bloom of the racer is sandwiched by carbon & kelvar.
But there is no problem on my Sokol which is FRP fuselage.
CM, dare to try?

Mak,
The 16/15 is a very good combination. Shaft is 1/8" which is strong to give some protection from broken shaft on landing.
Hacker is smooth and fast to fly with. It's perfect match with Stinger but will require lot of weight to balance CG on S200 or SOKOL.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next