RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: 60@ class F3F slop race
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:58 pm 

Dear all,

In order to incite more peoples to join the F3F family, may I propose to hold a 60'' class race for new comers.

In the HK open 2005, a lot of fellows came to MOS for giving a helping hand. I think all the fellows who joined the HK Open, should be the workers this time.

I am willing to be the CD.

Any comment??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:02 pm 

Yes, we have discussed this issue in last committee meeting and set aside a date in Feb. 2006 as I have remembered. But all in all, I think we need to concentrate on completing the two VRQ races first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:06 pm 

Support :D

But I have some concern about Ah Pong as the CD. The new comers may not know, but all of us who had participated in F3F know that Ah Pong likes to add ten or twenty seconds on the flying time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:07 pm 

Dear Stanley,

No lar, that was what I heard from fellows in CWB, that the club had paid too much resourses in HK Open and VQR. We have to consider the others' need.

Pong Pong
:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:09 pm 

:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

CM, the 'PONG PONG FOCTOR' could only add on You!!

:twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:20 pm 

[quote="Ah Pong"]:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

CM, the 'PONG PONG FOCTOR' could only add on You!!

:twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:[/quote

What you don't know is that it is actually a "Pong Pong Factor Compensation" in the timer, which cancel the extra time you added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:52 pm 

Ah Pong wrote:
Dear Stanley,

No lar, that was what I heard from fellows in CWB, that the club had paid too much resourses in HK Open and VQR. We have to consider the others' need.

Pong Pong
:D :D

No, we didn't mean to put 60" F3F in lower priority! We have scheduled a 60" race on Feb and there will be more, possibly March until the beginning of the summer season.

But, to be honest, you see we have too many events already, almost one for every two weeks! So we are very busy and the club is really running out of manpower to schedule more events in this period.

Same as the DLG or electric pylon, we need to wait until summer season when the weather is more favourable for these kinds of contests while it is not favourable for F3F or other slope soaring functions.

I think it is fair to say that we can not accomplish everything is a short period of time. Unless we have a larger club with more volunteers and there are some interest groups who organize events of their own interest. Then, as a committee member we can take a more relax role, and I sincerely hope so!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:12 am 

Calm down Stanley, Pong just want to tell you what he heard in the Glider site. I almost stay at CWB every Sunday afternoon, so I know what he feel.

When a guy started to touch RC glider, they will fly whenever they are free, as it will give them a relaxing day. After they have certain skills, if they like the activity, they will gradually shifted to their favour planes and continue for years. Some like Scale Gliders, some like Combat, some like F3F, some like Motorized planes, some like Thermo, some like to Chat, some like to Teach, some like to create their own planes....... There are too many different options so it is very difficult to fulfill all parties. No matter what activity the society raised, there are always somebody will not attend. As we do not have much manpower, we cannot do much improvement on this. But we cannot emphasis on 1 or 2 types all the time, which is what we are doing now.

I feel that the society should raise more activities for the new comer Teaching and Training. If we do not do this, a potential good pilot may quit after 1 or 2 times of flying. We also need to do something to promote the glider flying and help to provide a better environment for the RC flyers. I am not joking, I have several thoughts and I will suggest them out in our next meeting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:01 pm 

I agree with Ken's points. In fact HKRCSS has 4 interest groups (F3F, F3B, thermal and scale) but I don't think any of them have actually worked before. Maybe it is the time we have to have some thinkings. F3F and DLG / thermal are the two most participated in the past and we have good experience in holding these events. I think in the future we can let the interest groups to organize and promote the event, while the club itself can put more resources on the other events and in helping the new comers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:46 pm 

ken wrote:
I feel that the society should raise more activities for the new comer Teaching and Training. If we do not do this, a potential good pilot may quit after 1 or 2 times of flying. We also need to do something to promote the glider flying and help to provide a better environment for the RC flyers. I am not joking, I have several thoughts and I will suggest them out in our next meeting.

Dear Ken,

Yes, training is what I need most.

Philip Shum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:29 pm 

各位F3F賽愛好者,HKRCSS決定攪兩次60寸F3F賽,第一次在2月5日在馬鞍山舉行,第二次是一個月後3月5日舉行。希望大家擁燿參賽!
http://www.hkrcss.org/F3F_60in_CallC.html

為了級引更多新入參賽,早前曾經有機友提出要求那些飛開F3F大機而戰積非常好的機手決席此次比賽,好等

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:18 pm 

Stanley! 梗係落

Post subject: Handicap - F3F
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:15 pm 

I do not know if there is any handicap system in the F3F contest.

If there is none, what if we introduce one just for fun in the forthcoming 60" F3F contest. Say for example, those who had taken part in International Contest, VR????, Welsh Open, etc.,etc are given handicap points or extra few seconds in timing?

Philip Shum

Post subject: Re: Handicap - F3F
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:51 pm 

PhilipShum wrote:
those who had taken part in International Contest, VR????, Welsh Open, etc.,etc are given handicap points or extra few seconds in timing?

Philip Shum

Taking part in some of the international contests doesn't mean anything.

According to the records of local F3F contests, Stanley is the only one who need to carry some handicap. However, adding a few seconds to his scores wouldn't make much difference to the end results.

We will only allow him to fly foamies in the coming F3F contests.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:29 am 

K.Y.Mak wrote:
Taking part in some of the international contests doesn't mean anything.

Dear K.Y. Mak,

Of course, it does mean a lot.

I admire those who had representing Hong Kong taking part in International Contest. And, I must admit, a little bit of jealous as well.

By the way, if I am going to prepare for the '2047' 60" F3F, what sailplane would you recommend for a greenhorn like me. Not a 'foamies', please. Is Mini NYX too advanced for me?!

Philip Shum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:52 am 

PhilipShum wrote:

By the way, if I am going to prepare for the '2047' 60" F3F, what sailplane would you recommend for a greenhorn like me. Not a 'foamies', please. Is Mini NYX too advanced for me?!

Philip Shum

What ! Year 2047 ?
We'll be very lucky if we are still flying by then.

Mini NYX is a very good plane. It can both fly fast and thermal well. It is also easy to fly.
However, landing can be a problem under strong wind, because it's so efficent! can be difficult to slow it down without flaps!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:39 pm 

K.Y.Mak wrote:
Mini NYX is a very good plane. It can both fly fast and thermal well. It is also easy to fly.
However, landing can be a problem under strong wind, because it's so efficent! can be difficult to slow it down without flaps!

Dear K.Y. Mak,

Is it possible to add flap mixing to the aileron, and use it while approaching the landing path?

Philip Shum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:50 pm 

Aileron set down .....easy stall !
Aileron set up........it is washout,good for landing .You use this set up to slow down the nyx......impossible......try to
run a good landing path.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:27 am 

Dear all,

Weather forecast is east to northeast wind (level 5 to 6) on coming Friday. Seems we could have great fun on that day. Be prepared and bring along all of your ballast to MOS. See you there !!
:P :P :P
(However, I won’t join the contest and don't ask me why :?: :?: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:28 am 

I don't have 60" plane for the contest but I can be the CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:32 pm 

今日好大風﹐創 60 吋 F3F 記錄係時候﹗

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:57 pm 

不過據報今日有人巳經斷機而回!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:33 pm 

Anyone going to fly on Friday ?