RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:56 pm 

I guess I can go for F3F training this Saturday. Wind expected is NNE, so High Junk Peak may be more suitable.
C.M. have you finished modifying the F3F timing gear? If so, can we run a F3F test with your equipment?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:30 am 

I've checked the meteorological record of HK for the past 8 years. The average wind speed around 4-6 Nov is about 30km and the wind direction is mostly east (70-110 deg) but sometimes went to NNE (20-50 deg). So I guess we need to prepare for a backup site in case the wind is NNE to NE.
High Junk Peak would be good a choice although the visitors may find hiking up there exhausting. Landing adds another problem. We need to wait a pilot to land before the next pilot can launch. Or we can have a batch landing policy in which pilots who finished the run have to stay airborne until a total of, say, 5 pilots have completed the runs. Then batch landing takes place one-by-one immediately afterward.

Should be go to High Junk Peak this Saturday to re-measure the course and work out the best landing approach so that we can have more confident to use it as a backup site?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:14 am 

Hi Stanley,

I cannot go on this Saturday. How about this Sunday which is E-NE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:58 am 

Stanley wrote:
Landing adds another problem. We need to wait a pilot to land before the next pilot can launch. Or we can have a batch landing policy in which pilots who finished the run have to stay airborne until a total of, say, 5 pilots have completed the runs. Then batch landing takes place one-by-one immediately afterward.

Stanley,

I don't think landing in batch mode will offer much advantage. Some pilot will have to keep flying for a long time, it can be very tired. I don't like that !

If you want to save time.We can call the next pilot went the last plane had passed the finish line, so that the pilot can launch as soon as the last plane had landed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:38 am 

I don't see landing in batch can save much time. And we may have problem in frequency control and safety issues if keeping too many planes in the air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:47 pm 

Hi, SMP team,
Are we going to High Junk Peak for our F3F training on Saturday?
What time will you be there?
Give me a call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:19 am 

I shall probably start hiking up at about 12pm.
I will take the beepers with me so even without C.M.'s equipment we will still be able to get a more formal timing record.

With regarding to the landing approaches that we are using (cross wind landing), I believe it is not RIGHT! I still remember last time Fat Fai did a cross wind landing from the right hand side and it overshot and almost hit the passerbys. Last week end, we landed using a cross wind approach from the left hand side and there were some occasions that the plane almost overshoot and hiting us. I think the cross wind landing by pointing the plane towards us is dangerous!

I would like to try a head wind landing tomorrow. There is a flat grass field down on the right hand side of the pilot area (remember where the crowd of hikers standing on last Sunday). However, since the turn (clockwise) for the plane to head the wind before touch down is too tight - high junk peak is obstructing the way! So I guess I will try to make an anti-clockwise turn from the left hand side of the pilot area, the plane should fly through the black side of the slope but not too low to be affected by rotors, and graduately decent to the landing field on the right side after the turn. I think this will be safer for the plane as well as the crowd people in the pilot area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:42 am 

I land on front side, right hand side. Never cross the ridge. Try this, piece of cake 8)

Just like landing in CWB, but a lot easier to decelerate even in strong wind. I don't know why, may be the landscape is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:50 am 

Stanley, we were not using cross wind landing in High Junk Peak. In fact, we landed on the right hand side using clockwise landing track last Friday when the wind was northly. We managed to land safely execpted that my Aris hit the High Junk Peak once due to wrong estimate of distance. I think F Fai's incident was due to small landing area as the grass was burnt.

Now, the grass has grown again such that the landing field is much safer. When the wind is N or NNE, landing on the right hand side is better. When the wind is NE or ENE, landing on the left hand side is better.

I think it is too dangerous to have the landing track passing through the back of pilots because the track is on top of the hiking path. Moreover, many pilots will settle at this area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:57 am 

Angus wrote:
Now, the grass has grown again such that the landing field is much safer. When the wind is N or NNE, landing on the right hand side is better. When the wind is NE or ENE, landing on the left hand side is better.

I think it is too dangerous to have the landing track passing through the back of pilots because the track is on top of the hiking path. Moreover, many pilots will settle at this area.

I agreed with Angus on landing approach.
However, I still consider High Junk Peak as unsuitable for large competitions.
NE and ENE should be OK in MaOnShan.
NNE to NE is better be done in Shak-O.
N is not suitable in all these three flying sites. We have to consider FNS north site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:04 am 

We went to High Junk Peak today. The wind was weak but flyable in the first two hours. Later the wind direction was changed from NE to E, so we went to other slope which is facing Clearwater Bay to have some more fun. Here are some movies:

The first Acacia III flying in Hong Kong
http://www.rcsail.com/tmp/acaciaIII.avi

NewSting on F3F run
http://www.rcsail.com/tmp/newsting_high_junk_peak.avi

Mak's NewSting perfect landing
http://www.rcsail.com/tmp/landing_high_junk_peak.avi

This is the ESE slope in High Junk Peak which is overlooking Clearwater Bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:02 pm 

星期日D風好弱咋渦﹗仲飛到 ﹖我係浪茄第一個出都係貼山磨左 12 分鐘就要被迫 landing, 其他人都係直 sir 落沙灘度。 呢排天文台報D風速都係偏向樂觀﹐實況起碼要打個 8 折。