RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Schwing in Fei Ngo Shan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 pm 

Went to Fei Ngo Shan today...great northerly wind...landing area was a bit overgrown, yet ok...

Attachments:
schwing6.jpeg
schwing6.jpeg [ 186.79 KiB | Viewed 16536 times ]
schwing5.jpeg
schwing5.jpeg [ 578.55 KiB | Viewed 16536 times ]
schwing4.jpeg
schwing4.jpeg [ 153.67 KiB | Viewed 16536 times ]
schwing3.jpeg
schwing3.jpeg [ 473.64 KiB | Viewed 16536 times ]
schwing2.jpeg
schwing2.jpeg [ 165.97 KiB | Viewed 16536 times ]
schwing1.jpeg
schwing1.jpeg [ 227.99 KiB | Viewed 16536 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:49 pm 

Nice Plane !!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:58 pm 

Hi Jose,

Nice to meet you the other day in Ma On Shan. Your Schwing is looking good. I am sure James would be very happy to recieve your comments about this beautiful model. I haven't been to Fei Ngo Shan north slope for sometimes, we used to fly there very often 10 years ago, I think the vegitation there is really overgrown to make landing very difficult. Glad to know you can make your way up there and took these beautiful pictures, that really remind me the happy time we were up there with old friends.

Cheers!
Stanley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:35 pm 

Kolosun wrote:
Nice Plane !!!

Thank You))) Love how it flys)))

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:37 pm 

Stanley wrote:
Hi Jose,

Nice to meet you the other day in Ma On Shan. Your Schwing is looking good. I am sure James would be very happy to recieve your comments about this beautiful model. I haven't been to Fei Ngo Shan north slope for sometimes, we used to fly there very often 10 years ago, I think the vegitation there is really overgrown to make landing very difficult. Glad to know you can make your way up there and took these beautiful pictures, that really remind me the happy time we were up there with old friends.

Cheers!
Stanley

It was marvelous lift..but yes, the landing was interesting to say the least. Luckily we came home with the same number of pieces as when we started)))

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:19 am 

Hi guys!

I just arrived to Hong Kong a few months ago from Spain where I was flying quiet often with my 2m FPP Phoenix 2000. I just wanted to start with new F3F plane before coming to Hong Kong.
I have been following the forum for some weeks now and I'm wondering if it's possible to see you guys fly if I don't have a car. Is there public transportation to reach to your flying sides or is it possible to hike there if necessary? I have no plane and nor RC here but I have seen there are a lot of shops here or online shops in China where there sell everything. Maybe there is a chance to meet some of your guys and talk about this matters.

Thanks a lot!

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:41 pm 

Hi Peter, welcome to Hong Kong!

Yes, it would be a bit inconvenient without a car, particularly if you want to join our F3F activities, because the contests are usually held in remote area while you need to carry big F3F models up to the mountain. Nevertheless, we have pilots that do not have car, they take short taxi trip from the closest public transport access point to where they hike up.
Anyway, we will have a F3F contest up in Ma On Shan tomorrow, if you are interested you are welcome to join or watch. We will be there very early at 8am, if you come later, I recommend you to take MTR to university station in Shatin, then take a green taxi to Ma On Shan village, from there you can hike up to where we fly, it takes about half an hour hike. You can call me at 92568087 if you need direction, cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:35 pm 

Stanley,

How come you need 30 minutes to hike up?
We usually walk up in 15 minutes. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:56 pm 

30 minutes is a norm, I take more than that! Super fit guy like Ah Pong needs only 15 minutes! But mind you that hike up slow doesn't mean fly slow, on the other hand, hike up fast doesn't mean he can fly fast! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:23 pm 

Hi Stanley,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Today it's not possible for me to join but it would be great if I can watch you guys flying one of the next weekends. I have seen the flying places in your website and some are quiet far. Others like in the area of Sai Kung or Clear Water Bay have easier access with public transportation.
I know you will not know the place long in advance because it will depend on the wind direction. Normally I suppose you decide the spot the day before, right? Maybe next weekend I can join depending on where you are going to fly. Also now it's easier to hike as during July and August it is a nightmare :-).

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:57 pm 

Hi Peter,

We will have another F3F competition two weeks later. Usually, we will announce where the contest will be held according to the forecast wind direction one day before.
You can check on the announcement in this forum for the latest information.
Anyway, if you just want to fly EPP models, you may like to go to Clearwater Bay which has public transportation.

In the summer time here, it will be very hot and hiking up to the mountain would be very exhaustive. Fortunately, in the summer time, the wind direction is usually south and southwesterly, and there are convenient flying sites available for these wind directions, some of these sites are just park-and-fly, so this is not that bad though.

Cheers!
Stanley