RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:20 am 

Had an awesome day yesterday at the SCSA field in San Shui. Me, Michael, Johnson, and Allan left Yuen Long at around 8:30 in the morning in Michael's car and arrived at the field around 12 (after getting detoured when we missed a stop).

I think the field's left a very good impression with Johnson and Allan, they flew 3B all day long while we BBQ'd, drank freshly ground coffee, BS'd, and flew 3K. This is without doubt the best flying site we have access to at the moment with convenient parking, no disturbances, BIG site, even BIGGER airspace, good views, and nice weather.

Enjoy :)

We will be heading back up to the field on Saturday morning to practice, camping on Saturday night, and flying the February F3K League contest on Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:47 am 

Oh! that is really nice. I wish I could be there also.

I like the idea of camping there to stay overnight for the next day event.

Obviously if we have more people going up, it is not possible all of us are packed into Michael's car, are there public transport nearby? for example, can we take a direct train to Guangzhou and then taxi? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:57 am 

we discussed it shortly yesterday, Johnson is taking a look to see what options there might be. I know there are buses to Sanshui from Jordan in the morning (1 or 2 each day I think), you can get off at 三水花園酒店, that is about 30 mins away from the field by car (taxi?).

Another way is to rent a 7人van in Shenzhen and drive to the field, last time I checked that is only about 300/400rmb a day, and it can be split by 4-5 people, so it is very economical and maybe more convenient than the bus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:09 pm 

It was a wonderful day. Thanks to all guys on arranging the event, especially to Michael for driving us to and back from San Shui. 3.5 + 3 hrs - It's really a long trip but WORTH!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:52 pm 

Must bring Full ballast next time for some speed task fun. Big thanks to Michael and Thomas. The F3B/3K worm is itching...

Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:30 pm 

I hope you guys can come again soon! Perhaps you guys are quite close to helping me catch the 3B bug, too bad you guys are 日手otherwise I would have tried your planes yesterday!!

I think the general feeling is that each time the contest is in San Shui some of us will go a day earlier and relax/camp for an extra day, what a great way to get away from the city!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:31 pm 

The atmosphere on contest days are even better, it's too bad the 3F league is conflicting with 3K again :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:19 pm 

ThomasLee wrote:
The atmosphere on contest days are even better, it's too bad the 3F league is conflicting with 3K again :(

Yes, it is pity that we crash on the race dates.
If there is no other commitment, I shall go with you guys on March 10.
In the meantime, once I finished my Akcent 2, I will practice more often in Shamchung on Saturday afternoon when the road to Yung Shui O is still open (I was told that the road closed on Sunday only, and it is more convenient to walk to Shamchung from there). :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:55 am 

Hi Stanley,

Sounds good! March 10's location is not set yet, but will not be San Shui, perhaps Humen in Dongguan to help Robust be able to attend. April maybe Sanshui again. Humen Park is very nice, good environment, we just need to find a way to control people better there because of the amount of onlookers.

Go fly fly fly flyyyyy, you will like the AK2, flies quick and has a similar 'feel' as 3F and 3B planes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:09 am 

Hi Thomas,

Do you have the GPS coordinate of the Sanshui field? Really want to check it out if there is any housing development nearby. It would be good to have a house there for living after my retirement.

By the way, do you have any recommendation for the setting of AK2, CG location, elevator throw? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 am 

Stanley,

I like your thinking! I am saving up to buy my first flat and I thought about that too :D

(23.327124,112.884822)

That is the google location of the field. I asked our resident lawyer Kun, he is very familiar with the area, he said that there are quite a few new developments not far from the field. New is typically ~700,000-800,000 for about 1000 square feet, very good prices and good living environment.

Recommended CG location:
First flights - 71-73mm from the leading edge
Most rearward - 75-78mm from the leading edge
Recommended control deflections:
Ailerons - 15mm up, 12mm down
Elevator - 8mm up and down
Rudder - 8mm left and right
Launch camber - ailerons 1mm up
Speed camber - ailerons neutral
Thermal camber - ailerons down 3-5mm
Landing breaks - ailerons down 25-35mm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:06 am 

Personally I prefer a more forward CG, it allows much more efficient flying, but requires you to have quicker 'feel' when you reach a thermal because it will not indicate as well as a rearward CG, to each their own :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:45 am 

Stanley, as a bonus, if you do buy a small flat there for retirement the field will be available for a long long time, because no buildings are allowed to be built on these fields along the whole length of the dikes :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 pm 

I asked my aunt who lives in San Shui, she said the closest town to the field is Lu Bao, new flats there are ~100,000-~200,000 for ~1000 square feet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:11 pm 

Wow! that's interesting. Thanks for the information.

Let me know if you guys have another activity there next time, I will go up to see around the area personally. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:39 pm 

I think there's some quality difference between 100,000 and 800,000 though! hahahaha

We will likely have some more events there in February, I'll post before we go.