RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Visiting Hong Kong
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 pm 

Dear Hong Kong slope soaring pilots,

I am a RC soaring (and also full size glider) pilot from Germany, where I fly models (mostly small EPP) and full size gliders in the Bavarian Alps. Currently I am staying in Beijing, but I will be visiting Hong Kong from next Sunday till 9th February.
On the HKRCSS website I had a look at your slope flying sites, which are very scenic, beautiful spots. I would certainly like to drop by if weather permits. Of course, when visiting a slope site, it would be great to meet some of the local pilots and chat! Unfortunately, I am not able to bring a model myself, since all my equipment is of course back home in Germany, but watching and talking is half the fun anyway, isn't it.
So, while finding the right spot to go to should be easy based on wind direction and the descriptions on the website, I was wondering whether you guys are flying at all at this time of the year, and if so, on what days during the week and what time during the day it will be most likely to meet some pilots on the slopes?
Thanks a lot and looking forward to meeting you on the slope, maybe! And sorry for posting in English only, but after three weeks only here in China, my knowledge of the language still is very basic (improving slowly, though...)
Kind regards,
Jan

Post subject: Re: Visiting Hong Kong
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:11 pm 

Hi Jan,

Welcome to Hong Kong and of course to visit our slopes!
Most of our pilots will fly on weekends so it would have no problem at all if you go to visit us on a good Sunday.
Clearwater bay is the most popular flying site which is located on the east coast of Hong Kong, and is most suitable for EPP planes.
On Feb 3, we will have a F3F slope race competition with 30+ pilots going. This event would be a big gathering of local pilots, so you may be interested in meeting pilots there. Most likely it will be held in Ma On Shan flying site which is suitable for easterly wind. The site has scenic views overlooking Sai Kung area, so it is definitely worth a visit.

Drop us a line here once you are in Hong Kong to see what we can arrange to meet.

Cheers!
Stanley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:57 pm 

In addition, what is the mode you general fly. If you are mode 2 player, I can share my pkane for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:52 am 

Hi guys,

thank you very much for your replies!

I'll drop a line as soon as I'm in Hong Kong. And I'll certainly come to watch the F3F race, which is very interesting to me, since I have never seen F3F in real life before (I think in Germany, F3F is popular only in the North at the sea).

And @Swallow, that is a most generous offer! I fly mode 2 and mode 4. Great! Thank you so much! Let's stay in contact and see when time and weather fit.

Well, now I'm really looking forward to my trip to Hong Kong!
Best regards,
Jan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:05 pm 

Hi Jan,

If you arrive before Feb 3, let us know, I will try to arrange with you so that you can go up with us to see our F3F competition. You can call me at 92568087.

We all fly mode 1 in HK except Sunny (Swallow), so he is definitely the one that can share the planes for you. :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Stanley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 am 

Hi Stanley,

great, thank you!
My girlfriend and me arrived in HK today. I'll send you my HK mobile number or I'll post it here as soon as I have a HK simcard, probably tomorrow.
Looking forward to Feb 3rd!
Cheers,
Jan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:40 pm 

Wellcome to HK Jan :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 am 

Hi,
my HK mobile number is 51343733

BTW: what an amazing city!

Regards,
Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:40 am 

Hi Jan,

Welcome to Hong Kong!
Do you have any planning for the next few days?
If you have time to visit flying site, I recommend you to visit Clearwater Bay which can be accessed by public transport and there should be pilots flying there in weekdays.

Regarding this Sunday F3F event, most likely it will be held in Ma On Shan which needs a bit effort of hiking up, about 30 minutes. We will go up very early at around 7am and stay there for a whole day, so I am not sure whether you can make it. If you can come, then let me know where you stay and how we will meet.

Cheers!
Stanley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 pm 

Hi Stanley,

sure I can make it, 7am is no problem if it's about going to a flying site!

I have an Octopus card anyway, so I can come to any subway station or bus station that is convenient for you. May I call you so we can arrange details by phone?

Today my girlfriend and I hiked along Dragon's Back. Strong, constant east wind and the lift must have been awesome, altough nobody was flying at the time apart from the birds (kitehawks??).

Tomorrow (Thursday) it's my girlfriend's birthday so I am banned from even thinking about flying :) but we will probably visit Clearwater bay Friday or Saturday if the easterly prevails.

Anybody planning to go flying?

Cheers,
Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:58 pm 

Hi Jan,

Yes, you can call me at 92568087.

Our competition will be started at 8:00am up on the mountain, so I have to leave home at about 7am.
One possibility is if you can go to the MTR University station (the rail that go up to China), I can pick you up there at 7am.
On return if you stay until our contest finished at about 5pm then, I can drop you back to the station. Anyway, you will find the mountain top in Ma On Shan worth exploring.

By the way, Dragon's Back is a good slope for scale gliders, many pilots used to fly there often in weekend. But the activity there is declining in recent years.

Cheers!
Stanley