RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:03 am 

We had another great day of flying together on Sunday in Guangzhou. We decided to alternate venues for our end of month DLG meet, so instead of flying in Shenzhen this time we went to Guangzhou.

The area is very windy, and the air is quite turbulent with lots of sink. It was hard to get more than 1:30 without thermal assist, and the turbulation of the air broke up most of the thermals after several minutes at best.

Please enjoy the photos, and I hope it may interest some of you to come to the ShenZhen meet at the end of March :)
So far, I am the only one from HK going to these meets, but I know there used to be many DLG pilots here, come on guys!

Last edited by ThomasLee on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:05 am 

Some videos :)

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/zEmL ... 02_99?fr=1

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/Np8Y ... 02_99?fr=1

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/gZQH ... 02_99?fr=1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 pm 

Hi Thomas,

Very nice to see so many DLG pilots in this event.
潘灝, 唐豪 別來無樣啊! They are still very active in DLG.
What we have about DLG in Hong Kong now is virtually zero! The last contest we held was 6 years ago
http://www.hkrcss.org/dlg_shamchung_06.html!

My Longshot has been lying in deep comma for so long, really want to see it flying again.
The problem we have is mainly due to the lack of sizeable flying sites. We used to hold contests in Shamchung and Lamma Island, now these sites are no longer accessible. Perhaps, going to fly in Shenzhen is the only alternative; the interest would be small though! :x :x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:10 pm 

Hi Stanley,

Yes, it's very nice to see that there is more and more interest in DLGs in the area now. Hopefully more people in HK will have the desire to try it again this year :)
I have seen the photos of the HK gatherings before, it's too bad these gatherings have stopped... I am able to fly in Nam Sang Wai in Yuen Long quite often. It's not the best field but it is OK. I go to ShenZhen every sunday to fly as well, it is quite convenient.
The field we currently fly at is in Bao An District, I will grab some photos of it and post it here next time.

Get your longshot out of the coma and get it flying again! Planes are meant to fly :)
Pan Hao is still flying his Longshots, so it won't be lonely!

If anyone wants to go to ShenZhen to fly with me and the others who live there, please call me or send me an email (thomas@armsoar.com).

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 pm 

Hi Thomas,

It would be nice if we can firstly find a flying site within HK so that we can restart DLG activities. Then, once the interest is growing, we can think of crossing the border to have some joined activities with pilots in Shenzhen, perhaps holding a competition there. Without a flying site to hold local activities, it is very difficult to get old pilots to renew their interest, and don't even think of attracting new comers.

May I ask if it is possible to hold some DLG practice/contests in Nan Sang Wai? I know there are other r/c people flying other models there, it would be nice if we can share some of the field to hold DLG event in Nan Sang Wai.

I haven't visited Shamchung for some times. Perhaps, I should go back to re-access the possibility of holding r/c activities there again.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:52 am 

Hi Stanley,

Yes, I think you're right. It will be best to be able to do a couple local practices to gain people's interest again.

Nam Sang Wai is quite crowded on the weekends, but I think it is okay for maybe 4 or 5 people to practice. It is not big enough and too crowded to fly contests though. I have seen on google maps some very big fields in Tseung Kwan O by the TVB tv city, and my relative who works there says many people fly models there, but I haven't yet had the chance to go check it.

I think to start people's interest again, we can fly in Nam Sang Wai first as it is quite easy to access, and if there is enough interest, we can go to Sham Chung or other areas to fly.

Would it be possible for you to ask around some old DLG pilots to see if anyone is interested in doing a small gathering?

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:16 pm 

Here is a photo of the Nam Sang Wai field I took several months ago.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:08 pm 

A few (old) DLG pilots I talked to today show interest in holding a DLG gathering Nan San Wai. However, most of them haven't been to Nan San Wai before. I have been there once but also forgot how to get there. Can you help to post a driving map to go there? Perhaps we can have a gathering there two/three weeks later. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:06 pm 

Hi Stanley,

That's great! Will the 18th be okay for you guys?
I will be busy on the 25th because it is our monthly gathering in ShenZhen.
I will also see if anyone from Shenzhen and Guangzhou is interested in coming to fly on the 18th if it works for you guys.

The below is a map to Nam Sang Wai from Yuen Long.