RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:43 am 

Hi guys,

I am trying to form a F3K team to go to the WC in Denmark on July 19-29 next year (2013).
I know there are not many F3K pilots here, but hopefully between me, HK locals, and HK pilots living abroad we can find 3 people interested to go compete.
It is in ~1 year from now, so there is a lot of time to prepare.

Once I find 3 CONFIRMED pilots interested in going, I will start looking for sponsorship money to help us lighten the costs. I don't want to find (or not find) sponsorship money for plane tickets/etc and then be notified someone will not go anymore because the sponsorship is not enough/etc. Hope you understand :)

If anyone is interested please let me know, it will be a great experience and is a great opportunity to wear our flag on our shoulders.

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:40 pm 

Having not heard of any interest locally, I have started to approach some of the pilots in the mainland.

From the FAI 2012 bylaws:

1.12.4. In order to represent an FAI Member (other than by proxy) a person, if not a citizen or
resident of that Member's country, shall obtain the prior consent of the FAI Member of the
country of which he or she is resident. No person shall represent more than one FAI
Member at any one time.

-------

Kelly Cai from Shanghai is interested in representing HK, he got 2nd place in the recent Beijing Contest, and Thomas Wang from Beijing MIGHT also be interested, he was 1st place in last year's Beijing Contest.

Our next step is to contact the Chinese FAI Member organization for their consent to allow Kelly and Thomas to represent a country other than China (China does not have a F3K team). With their consent, they can apply for the HK FAI license.

I would like to ask if there is any objection from fellow local HK pilots, and if there is an objection, can you please let me know the reason?

We are trying to confirm the interested pilots roster in mid September, and then start trying to gain the approval of the Chinese FAI for their representation. I will approach HKAC in hopes that they can help write a letter to invite the pilots to represent HK, perhaps that will help them get the consent. Maybe if HKRCSS can write a letter of invitation as well it can help further their cause?

After everything is confirmed, we will start looking for sponsorships.
Some of the ones off the top of my heard right now:

Armsoar composite gliders
JR Propo
Cathay pacific
HK sports and leisure department

If you know of any other organizations/companies that we may approach to gain some sponsorship for the 2013 HK F3K team going to Denmark please let me know!

Thanks,

Thomas Lee

Me and Kelly

Thomas Wang

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:41 pm 

Once we can confirm the team with our FAI licenses, we will practice a couple times together, with the first one (or the majority) in HK, most likely Sham Chung.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:20 pm 

Thomas,
I am afraid friends who are not Hong Kong residents cannot represent HK. FAI takes China and HK as separate entities and the application cannot crosses the boundries (and China Aero sport must not be happy to see this happens). HKAC (Hong Kong FAI office) will not issue FAI license to them You need to check it clearly.

Please do not try to "use quota" from other countries or region, it will lead to "political" issue in subsequent years and please does not make HKAC in a "difficult" position as they do not only handle our F3X events. We need a good relationship with them.

I believe the organiser will allow cooperation among teams when they are at the field , just like what we did in F3B last year.

Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:48 pm 

Hi Johnson,

Thanks for the insight.
Regarding FAI, they allow cross boundary representation, as it has been done before in other F3X WC's. However, if you think that it is not a good idea between the Chinese Aerosport and HKAC, then we will cease this idea. This is one of the reasons why I posted it on here, to allow for the experts' views.

Yes, organiser will allow cooperation between different teams. I have been in contact with Kai Yang from the Chinese Taipei team as well and it seems he is the only person going, so I may team up with him if things do not work out.

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:54 pm 

In which case,
are there really no other pilots interested?

Oh well...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:10 pm 

There are always interested pilots but they always wait till last moment (same token from F3F WCH team :( ).

Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:14 pm 

In fact I always appreciate Thomas Wang's contribution and Kelly's effort. FAI is definitely happy to see China can join. Well, I believe I can see the hurdle behind but they need to work it out.

Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:47 pm 

In that case, why don't we ask HKRCSS to organize one or two F3K qualifying competitions locally?
This will simulate more interest in F3K locally, at least we have something to plan and target for, and the team selected would have the official status to avoid any challenge that may result if some other pilots query about.
We still have time to arrange competitions in November/December (in Sham Chung?) before forming a team for the registration in F3K WC.
Although I believe successfully forming a local team would be very remote at the current scenario, who know in the future years may be different if not take the first step now! :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:09 pm 

Hi Johnson and Stanley,

Thank you for the support!
I will let Kelly and Thomas know, perhaps they will be able to find a way to form a Chinese F3K team, fingers crossed!
Yes, understandably it is hard to confirm for many people because of the fast-paced lifestyle in HK.

If HKRCSS can organize 1 or 2 qualifying competitions locally that would be wonderful. Perhaps 1 in November and 1 in December? Or, simply 1 in November?

Perhaps it can help all the local pilots familiarize with the F3K rules, and possibly help promote the event for future WC's.

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:34 pm 

Quote:
Please do not try to "use quota" from other countries or region, it will lead to "political" issue in subsequent years and please does not make HKAC in a "difficult" position as they do not only handle our F3X events.

This is really true and has to observe. This is not just for our F3X events but also for international sport events that HK does have our own quota of entry. Please keep the equilibrium.

Forming a complete team with 3 pilots, helpers and team manager is what we always expect. But sometimes it won't be so ideal. If being qualified, even just 1 pilot can also represent the country/location for the event. On this occasion, as long as the pilots from China and/or Taiwan can represent their own countries to attend the event, it shouldn’t be an issue for old good friends to help each other. There’ll also be good friends from other teams to share a big hand at the field.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:37 pm 

Hello Thomas,

I appreciate your effort in promoting F3K in Hong Kong. But as Johnson said, HK and China are two different entities and it is not a good idea to join as one team. Hope you can understand.

We will have a committee meeting in September and will plan the activities in the coming season. Do you want to join and help us to organize the qualifying competitions?

CM Cheng

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:33 pm 

Hi BigYeung and CM,

Thank you both for your insights.
I will let them know that they will need to find alternative methods of attending. Finding a caller during the WC should be no problem, I have already spoken with the Taiwanese pilot a few weeks ago and we can call for each other, will be best if we can talk to the Danish organizers to see if we can register for team protection to ensure that we can call for each other in all rounds.

CM, thank you for your invitation! When is the meeting, and where is it held?

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:39 pm 

Guys,

I have just started a Facebook page for the HK F3K team.
https://www.facebook.com/HongKongF3kTeam

There seems to be 3 possible ways to go:

-Nearest airport is Billund Airport in Denmark, cheapest flight I've found is 7095 HKD. ~30mins drive to field.
-Another option is Copenhagen, cheapest flight I've found is 4050 HKD, ~3:20 drive to field.
-Most exciting option is Hamburg, cheapest flight I've found is 4030 HKD, ~3:30 drive to field.

If travelling by Lufthansa to Hamburg and back, it is ~4305 HKD. The dates I searched is going there on the 15th, and leaving on the 31st (actual dates are 17-29).

Thomas