RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: a newbie... plz help~
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:25 pm 

hi, i am new here...

i want to make a DIY sailplane, but i got several problems before i start making it --

1) what are the figures that i should pay attention to when i build a sailplane? i know wing area only; is there any more figures when designing a plane?

2) how much should a remote set cost for a beginer? (don't wanna be cheated by the shopkeepers)

3) i currently have an old remote set (Futuba) but one of the servo is burnt out. can i just buy a servo and just put it in my old remote set? because i always see "4.8 or 6V" in bidding sites, i wonder if it is possible to put a servo of another brand into my Futuba set... (hope that will fit either one Voltage)

thanks!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:34 pm 

koniygn wrote:
hi, i am new here...

i want to make a DIY sailplane, but i got several problems before i start making it --

1) what are the figures that i should pay attention to when i build a sailplane? i know wing area only; is there any more figures when designing a plane?

2) how much should a remote set cost for a beginer? (don't wanna be cheated by the shopkeepers)

3) i currently have an old remote set (Futuba) but one of the servo is burnt out. can i just buy a servo and just put it in my old remote set? because i always see "4.8 or 6V" in bidding sites, i wonder if it is possible to put a servo of another brand into my Futuba set... (hope that will fit either one Voltage)

thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:47 pm 

I am not an expert, but I made several DIY before, this is just my sharing:

Besides the wing area, you must consider also the airfoil and overall weight of the plane.

For the servo, you may simply purchase another futaba servo, even other brand is acceptable. (make sure the 3 wire connected to the plug is in the same position). No need to worry about 4.8V or 6V. Most receiver and servo can work on 4.8 & 6V. When you use 6V power, the servo will have more power and act faster, but on the expensive of shorten life. In addition, a fully charged 6V battery will gives you more than 6V (up to 7.xV) which is not save for some receiver.

If you have a radio system now (4 channels up), suggest you keep using it until the day you found yourself really enjoy this hobby. Then go ahead and buy a new one. I met a lot of people gave up flying after several month.

a 6 channels futaba will cost you around 1300 to 1800 depends on the model. Everything is included (transmitter, receiver, 4 standard size servos, charger and receiver battery). Please also check to see if they gave you the original charger, transmittewr & receiver battery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:21 pm 

thanks for the advices!!!