RC Slope Soaring in Hong Kong

A forum for rc sailplane pilots
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:21 pm 

今日馬鞍山又再發生模型滑翔機撞滑翔傘意外﹐出事既係一隻 3米滑翔機﹐正面撞擊滑翔傘員﹐機翼根部撞落滑翔傘座帶掛鉤﹐好彩滑翔傘員只受驚嚇﹐並無受傷。當時只要左右偏差一呎﹐滑翔機頭就直接撞擊滑翔傘員胸部或頸部﹐肯定會造成嚴重受傷或死亡。

事發時升力屬中等﹐被撞既滑翔傘正由大金鐘飛去滑翔傘既起飛場﹐傘既位置大概係放飛機位對開 100 米﹐出事既滑翔機當時係反方向飛行﹐據現場機友講﹐機師當時已經睇到滑翔傘﹐同埋已經預計到滑翔機同滑翔傘將會係視線內重疊﹐但由於機師覺得飛機係較近斜坡﹐滑翔傘係較遠離斜坡﹐唔會相撞﹐所以無作出任何迴避﹐結果證明機師判斷錯誤。

馬鞍山過去幾年玩滑翔機同滑翔傘既人都明顯多左﹐已經有幾次意外﹐我聽到既最少有4宗﹕

1) 約三年前電機撞到滑翔傘既傘繩﹐飛機被傘繩纏著﹐好彩無導致滑翔傘失控

2) 約兩年前F3F 3米機撞到滑翔傘既座帶下方﹐滑翔機只要高一呎就撞到滑翔傘員既腹部

3) 約幾個月前F3F 3 米機撞到滑翔傘傘繩﹐好彩傘繩無斷﹐否則後果可以好嚴重。

4) 今日既幾乎致命意外

意外似乎有更頻密同嚴重既趨勢﹐如果呢個趨勢持續﹐嚴重意外只係遲早既事。小弟在此懇請各機友係馬鞍山放機時要格外留心滑翔傘﹐一定要同滑翔傘保持距離﹐千祈唔好搏﹐以免樂極生悲﹐一生抱憾。

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:19 pm 

Hello,

Below is a link to the rules of Torrey Pines Gliderport. As in Ma On Shan, RC sailplanes and paragliders (and also hang gliders and full scale gliders . .) share the same air space there. I understand we still have a long way of setting up a set of joint rules between RC pilots and paraglider pilots, but I think the Torrey Pines is a good example and we can start with it.

http://www.flytorrey.com/support/fullrules.php

Note point 6 for RC pilots:
"Always keep "Blue Sky" between your aircraft and all other aircraft." - Remember "parallax". Don't judge by your eyes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:51 pm 

I also want to highlight the points related to RC flying.

General Rules: All Users

12. There shall be no low altitude flying (less than 50ft) over the RC pit area, the launch area, or other pilots or spectators. There will be no flying within 100ft of any public, commercial or residential building.

Well, I can see this rule always broken as HK paraglider pilots fly over our RC pit area, sometimes so close just a few meters on top of us!! :twisted: :twisted:

Hang glider & Paraglider Operations

6. Sounding a whistle communicates your location to the RC pilots, other pilots and spectators. Sounding a whistle and announcing your intentions is for your safety and the avoidance of accidents.

Some HK paraglider pilots do but most never!

Radio Controlled Models Operations

6. Radio Controlled Sailplanes may be flown anywhere along the cliff, but have primary use of the Window area. Always keep "Blue Sky" between your aircraft and all other aircraft. Listen for whistles from Hang gliders / Paragliders. Give man-carrying aircraft the right-of-way. Do not fly at or near man-carrying aircraft.

We need to tell new comer RC pilots for the "Blue Sky" rule

7. All RC pilots must have a spotter/observer to monitor and inform the pilot regarding air traffic during full-scale glider operations. During times of heavy Hang glider / Paraglider operations the Flight Director may require RC pilots to have a spotter/observer. The requirement for having a spotter/observer must be conspicuously posted near the RC frequency board.

When we have competition and large group of activities, we do have spotter, but sometimes, when there are small number of rc pilots for casual fly, we might not have spotter

Last Sunday when the wind was weak, I still saw over 18 paragliders (I really counted them) flying, some of them even have difficulty in constantly manipulating to avoid collision with others, I certainly believe in this kind of condition, there are too many paragliders on air, they should regulate themselves to only allow a maximum number of paragliders flying if wind condition is poor! Time sharing to have fun rather than crowd and prone to have accident!! Good luck mam.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I also noticed that there were so many tandem flights that carried passingers, I wonder if this is illegal, is a license needed? Check the code in TP regulation

8 Tandem flights require a USHGA Tandem Rated pilot and permission of the Flight Director.

:twisted: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 am 

Stanley wrote:
I also want to highlight the points related to RC flying.

General Rules: All Users
Radio Controlled Models Operations

6. Radio Controlled Sailplanes may be flown anywhere along the cliff, but have primary use of the Window area. Always keep "Blue Sky" between your aircraft and all other aircraft. Listen for whistles from Hang gliders / Paragliders. Give man-carrying aircraft the right-of-way. Do not fly at or near man-carrying aircraft.

We need to tell new comer RC pilots for the "Blue Sky" rule

Dear pilots,

There was a Mid-air between RC planes and paragliders at MOS on 1-1-2011 again. :shock: :?
Due to difficulty on distance judgement, RC Pilots should Always keep "Blue Sky" between your RC plane and paragliders. :!: